Sunday, May 20, 2007

SHLIMAZEL

How do I explain what a shlimazzle is? A shlemiel is the guy who always spills his soup. The shlimazel is the guy the soup spills on. Get it?

Well, I told you how I did my impression of Sonia Heini a few years ago in my kitchen. Remeber? The kid, Joe College was off on his quest for six months to South America and there was one tiny drop of water on the floor and I found it and did the splits?

That is being a shlimazel.

Yesterday, somehow...actually, I know how. I was sitting at the computer and reached up to put my legs on the dining room chair and when I finally broght them back down to earth again, don't ask.

Ok. Ask already. I pulled a muscle...stretched something...next to my knee...on the left side. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

Lucky, it was the same side where I did my splits so the end result is that I'm limping on the same foot. I mean, picture if it had been on the other side. I would have looked like either I just got off a horse, or had been at sea for the past year and a half.

To put it mildly, I am not a happy camper. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

The good news is that my daughter-in-law has invited the entire family, including Bubbie Channah, OF COURSE, to her house for Shavuot on Tuesday night and get this...I don't have to cook!

Yahoooooooooooo. I get to come as a guest. What a gift.

I'll let you know how it was. In the meantime, I will still make my huha white chocolate cheese cake...that is tomorrow's blog so get your pencil and paper ready...and my tofu chocolate cheese cake (I'll let you know if it tastes gorgeous or like you know what) and kaddeh.

Kaddeh is a traditional Kurdi (my husband is from Kurdistan) dish only served at Shavuot. The original recipe calls for a yeast bread dough which you roll out and fill with cheese and then cook on a huge upside down wok over a wood burning fire.

Yah, right! Here is my version. I buy a package of frozen malawach (Yeminite flat bread) and while it is still frozen I take each circle and cut it in half. I add a mixture of grated very salty white cheese and grated yellow cheese to the half and fold it into a triangle and seal the sides.

Then I simply cook it on the stove in a heavy frying pan. Trust me it is gorgeous!

so, I'm making kaddeh and I think salmon. We only eat dairy on Shavuot...no meat or chicken. Hard when you have a kid who isn't eating any milk products, but I will manage.

Godda run. Teaching from noon till seven tonight. English bagrut (matriculation) exam is tomorrow. After that I should have more time to shmooze.

Shmooze? Kinda like shoot the breeze...gossip...you know, chat.

In case you forgot...OUCH OUCH OUCH!

Shavuah tov.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

9 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

I feel the "Ouch" for you!! A painful experience indeed

Hope it has eased somewhat?

Luv your educational "expressions" - keep them coming.

Take Care dear friend and have a good day.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Ouch!!! So sorry.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

HOP to it, young lady!

I wrote a post many many moons ago and called it "Shlemazel Mazel"; guess you've had a taste of that. I think we all do at some time or another, and some of us more than others!

I like your version of kaddeh. Maybe I'll try it for Yom Tov. I love malaweh (is how I call it) and I love cheese, so it's a great combo.

(I still can't get over the Windsor-Kurdistan connection...what a vast world of differences == but you BRIDGEd it. How's his English, and did you learn some handy cuss/crass Kurdi words over the years? :))

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shlamazel is right. You're like an accident looking for a place to happen. Perhaps because you're trying to do 25 things at once? Tsk, tsk! It's a long weekend here (Canada Day..frayg nisht) and firecrackers have been popping since Friday night. Good thing it's not happening there. You'd think another war (ptu, ptu, ptu) had started. Stay off the foot/leg as much as possible. Our tushes have enough padding that we can sit comfortably..so SIT OOBOO!!! Enjou Shavuot...enjoy the fact you don't have to cook (except for baking) and be a good guest....eat all the yummy food. Love you, hope your boo boo heals quickly. No more ouchies, okay?

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

You make me laugh! Hope you feel better soon and all the deserts come out great.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Perez said...

Sorry to hear about your leg.

Anyways, can't wait to try that cake. Sound wonderful.

Take care-perez

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If White Chocolate Cheesecake, Tofu Chocolate Cheesecake, Kaddeh and Salmon are not cooking, I'd love to be there when you DO cook!!
And you are going to do this while hobbling around on your hurt leg? Goodness, you must love to cook, or you have masochistic tendencies. Wish I was there to help you. We could cook up some really yummy stuff and gnosh all day long while doing it! Only dairy products on Shavuot? Let's see, Ice cream, whipped cream & strawberries, mousse, chocolate cake with whipped cream, peaches and cream. I think I like this holiday!!
Take it easy my friend and try to stay off the leg as much as possible. You've had enough aowies for a while. Have a blessed and happy Shavuot!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Val said...

I LOVED reading the 'huha' as a desciptive word!!! That is what my Gram used to say when she thought something looked great. She'd exclaim 'HuHA' (accent on the second syllable) - as I read the read, i heard her saying it. Sigh. Boy, I miss that woman. Thanks for the flashback - -- i'm sure it WAS huha, too! :)

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummmm...
thanx for the recipe..I am going to make it for our
memorial day piknick..I wonder If I could put it in idividual muffin cups....

Thanks for explaining "tfu, tfu, tfu"
I was also wondering about that
I thought it just meant "tsk, tsk, tsk"
Big difference

 

Post a Comment

<< Home