Friday, July 27, 2012

FRIDAY

I love Fridays in Jerusalem.  During the day everyone is rushing around getting things done. Some women are putting the final touches to their Shabbat dinners, others are sitting in coffee shops enjoying the delicious chance to sit quietly at a table with their partners and/or friends while someone else does the preparing, serving and cleaning up.

On Fridays, women should treat themselves like a Queen...like the Shabbat Queen who, I think lives in Jerusalem but travels all over the world ushering in Shabbat from house to house.


Over thirty years ago, I decided to really kosher my house. I never had treif in the old house but I didn't have two sets of dishes, etc. (except for Pessach where I always had two separate everything). I had one set of glass dishes that I used for both dairy and meat. But when we moved into the new house I decided that I was going to have a kitchen where everyone and anyone could sit down at my table and enjoy a meal.


Four sets of dishes (Pessach), four sets of silverware, different sponges to wash each set...I did it, I loved it, and to this day I think God comes into my kitchen when He needs a chuckle. You know when all of a sudden you realize you have the wrong knife in your hand. OY!

I also don't cook on Shabbat but that is for purely selfish reasons. I want a day out of the kitchen. I want a day that is different from the rest of the week. Shabbat in Jerusalem is such a great day.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not religious. I watch TV on Shabbat...I read my Kindle...I use my computer...I talk on my iPhone...but I also read Tehilim (Psalms) every day...I light candles every Friday night...and I try to make a special meal for the weekend. I think of myself as a Traditionalist...I love the traditions of my religion.

All right, the stuffed roast chicken is done...the shwarma stew is done...my husband will make rice this afternoon...he makes great rice!...I didn't bake challahs because it is still too hot, so my husband will bring them home with him from the shuk. I'm not going to the babies this weekend. The fridge is stuffed. I'm ready!!!

So, this morning I'm off to have breakfast in the mall with my friend Ros.

Hope you all have a wonderful Shabbat! Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

4 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic post, I really look forward to updates from you.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

Thank you so much

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Pearl said...

I like your style, Marallyn. Oh so very traditional in many ways but with a comfort zone to boot.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom pearl...high praise coming from you my dear friend...thanks for reading and taking the time to post...stay safe...love you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home