Monday, February 05, 2007

SAVLANUT

For those of you who do not know, savlanut is Hebrew for 'patience'. Whenever something goes wrong an Israeli will put his thumb and first two fingers together, point the fingers towards his chest and move them back and forth while saying 'Savlanut'. This is usually accompanied by a slight smile or grin.

I always thought that was hysterical since the people with the least amount of savlanut I have met are the Israelis. Well, the Jerusalem Israelis. Maybe the Jerusalem Sepharadi Israelis. (I can say that see, because I am a Jerusalem Israeli and have three Sepharadi kids and two Sepharadi grandchildren since my husband was born in Kurdistan, Iraq).

Little kids pick up that finger/smile action as soon as they can stand alone and not fall down. That and a shrug of the shoulder which translates to mean 'I don't wanna.'

I was always amazed that my babies did the shoulder thing and never knew where they got it from. Maybe it's in the genes like the savlanut thing. Hmmmm.

Well, I personally think that I have a great deal of patience, but my savlanut was put to the test this week by my son, the college student.

Now don't get me wrong, the kid is a keeper...and I always felt that G-d looked down at me and decided to give me something special so He gave me this kid.

So when he came to me this week and asked if I minded if he took my laptop as kids were coming over to study for exams and they needed it, could I say no? Could I refuse the next Clarence Darrow or Allan Dershewitz the use of my computer so he or she could study?

'Of course you can have it,' I said smiling while in my heart I was hoping the new Judge to be wouldn't f..., I mean sc..., I mean do anything to hurt my new laptop. Sigh.

Anyways, I haven't been online for the past couple of days since the kids had my laptop and it was much too cold to sit by the computer as the winds and rain and freezing seeped through the windows where I keep it.

I missed you too!!! But here I am back, fat and sassy and raring to go.

Hope you have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

8 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SUCH a good eemma!

I really know what a great sacrifice that was. One day, when your little one is on the Supreme Court, you can say that you made it happen.

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back, Marallyn. You have more savlanut than I. The kids need to leave my laptop alone and not &$%# with it. :)

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Vicky said...

You are a brave woman and a salute you! :)

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

My husband and I battle it out for the remote control; my three children and I battle it out for use of our two computers!
My famous last words to my kids: "Can you please minimize? I want/need to check something."
And how quickly they're learning from me, when I'm using one of the computers and one of the children says, "Can you please minimize I need to check something."

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Val said...

welcome back!
And I think Jews, in general (though I hate generalizations) are a bit patience-challenged! (at least that's the excuse I use with my impatience! ;)

Have a great day!

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Batya said...

I'm glad everything's ok!
Our laptop was never hooked up to internet, so it's only good for simple documents, picture burning--cd's of pictures, and games, lots of games.
the den is an iceberg

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Leann said...

boy you got more guts then I do.I learned early with my kids.they are cute and I love their socks off but after letting them use stuff and getting it back broken I desided they could buy their own.I let my daughter use my tent once.one I had for over 5 years and it was still in mint condision.I got it back with a hole in it and my blow up had a balge in it so your feet were up in the air and your head on the ground.no offer to pay for the the lose.so when I got a new one I didnt let them near it.my lap top ?heck no.Id end up having to buy a new one.your son must be much more careful then my daughter.have a good week,and shalom.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ah john from your mouth to you know who's ears!!!

tim!!!what did you say again???

vicky...a mom's godda do what a mom's godda do lol...thanks for dropping in

'pearl' my dear friend...that works with little ones...with the big ones they give you the look and say, 'Mother Puhleez'...wait wait...that was me talking to bubbie channah :)))

val you may be right...or maybe it has something to do with the weather...hot eight months of the year and all the crazies take to the streets lol

ah muse...now that is what i call brave...

leann...i know what you mean...made me kinda nervous too i can tell you that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home